MARCH 5TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Official SSA Meeting Minutes March 5th 2018:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R3qFp-WrsS7Ii5v-FK5bOCSYZw-0XaKvi_M_2pe2kSU/edit?usp=sharing

In summary of the SSA council meeting, much of the discussion included that of the by-laws in regard to elections. The CRO informed and facilitated this section of the meeting. SSA agreed that elections should be equal for all and therefore, the week of campaigning and the actual spread of electoral voting will be postponed one week. 

Along with talk of elections, multiple funding requests were approved. Lastly, the women's representative report included many relevant opportunities and events happening on campus.  

FEBRUARY 5TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Official SSA Meeting Minutes February 5th 2018:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R7bv7lc0aNabwyb3yxgTSj3pJ4LDmbvFC5IjmO2wqaU/edit

In summary of the SSA council meeting, the executive report included funding requests, along with a break down of our current budget and talk of the upcoming election. T

he (vice) president report included talk of the DASH meeting, mental health initiatives thanks to our very own Carly Mastromonaco, and a furniture update in 209 Armes. 

JANUARY 23RD SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Official SSA Meeting Minutes January 23rd 2018:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bEbx4xZfG0cvl4Xo49j92Fns6_1umpLK-mCDzSz2rdM/edit?usp=sharing

In summary of the SSA meeting, we discussed increasing communication with the deans and heads of departments, council activities, and the Parker 109 update. We also discussed mental health awareness week, scholarship money approval, and the upcoming March 2nd Throwback social. Special events touched down on specifics of the April Gala, and councillors provided much input. 

 

 

JANUARY 8TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: January 8th 2018

January 8th 2018 SSA Official Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FIdfojtYSu3_Rf9mkYclXxBrCsFqMGdQzA4NJ3V3hz0/edit?usp=sharing

In summary of the first council meeting of 2018, our vice president, Laura Chan, along with Behnam Bezaei addressed the official council budget. Laura Chan also briefed council of the funding requests received by the executive committee where council discussed and approved specific amounts for the specific groups and people. 

As a council, we also discussed updates from the senate along with from the UMSU meeting in December. The special events team briefed council on the upcoming social (March 2nd/2018), while Jordan Beck, Director of indigenous communications, briefed us on his upcoming event "Indigenous Celebration in Science". 

DECEMBER 4TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: December 4th 2017

December. 4th 2017 SSA Official Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18p0wCiKpk3Sa0ezMK7R4EfFhBYBFxiAYhDUeAx9O-X8/edit?usp=sharing

In summary of the SSA council meeting, the executive and president (vice) report included house-keeping, council budgets, and funding requests. Along with this, discussion included new security measures that must be taken. Briefed council of January student orientation, parker renovations, and the ski trip. The sub-committees and council reports were fairly short with no new relevant information. 

NOVEMBER 20TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: November. 20th 2017

November. 20th/17 Official SSA Minutes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16jCxere64UvDImXsOEITQVFJpZt06cezKNw_J9hTNVs/edit?usp=sharing

In summary of the SSA council meeting, and in regards to the executive and treasurer report, SSA discussed budgets and revisions pertaining to such budgets. As a council, we also discussed possible ways to promote the ski trip, and approvals of funding requests.

The president (vice) report included multiple reimbursements for office supplies, and event supplies, along with further discussion the town hall meeting. The faculty of science is also introducing a new program: medical and pathophysiological to biology graduates and is requesting SSA’s support. This is a one year post-bac program for a diploma, that will boost applications. SSA decides to will support it.

The academics report included discussion of the test night they are hosting in which the winners could receive up to $100.00. Along with this, academics discussed and reminded council of “Student Night against Procrastination” where council members will be helping out.

Special events discussed ideas for the gingerbread house contest. The report includes further details of planning and ideas that will occur on the event day-December 1st 2017.

The LGBQTT representative, Eric Vasas discusses trans-remembrance week along with AIDS awareness week. Events pertaining to these occasions will be going on all week.

NOVEMBER 6TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: November. 6th 2017

November. 6th/17 Official SSA Minutes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c11PRO8JCl-u0SVwyLu3FnceF2bUzWL_RzWz1teW1ZA/edit?usp=sharing

In summary of the SSA council meeting, and in regards to the executive, and president (vice) report, there was much discussion regarding funding requests and how much money SSA would be granting. We also discussed budget and what money will be allocated to which events; decided that hosting the annual Science Gala at the convention center would be too expensive, therefore we will be hosting the gala at the MET once again. SSA also discussed the idea of a donation hamper for the holiday season, and decided to try and fill three large hampers from UMSU, alomg with a fourth hamper in collaboration with Chris Moskal, a former SSA member who is doing research in Churchill and was wanting SSA to fill up a hamper for “Christmas with Churchill”. We will be putting up posters and using the lounge as a donation center for food and toys.

In regards to the By-Laws report; we are officially adding changes/amendments to the by-laws regarding elections, along with the treasurer “job description”.

The indigenous report included the breakdown of the ‘Science Students Endowment Fund Committees’’ funding requests, along with discussion of the upcoming rooster town fundraiser, and career development week.

Special events discusses the upcoming movie night, along with the gingerbread house making competition in December.

A few new academic changes were discussed in the senate regarding department name changes, international pre-requisite adjustments, the new academic schedule for 2018/2019, modifications of adding or dropping classes, and lastly, Bill 31. 

OCTOBER 23RD SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: October 23rd 2017

October 23rd/17 Official SSA Minutes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pHCDoeXN7KHhgCnL8JednaXKnVdJcmZv9pKTDLgFYbo/edit?usp=sharing

In summary of the SSA council meeting, there was much discussion regarding the special events committee and the upcoming Science Gala in April. Location of the Gala was the main topic as special events proposes the convention center as the new location rather than the Met. Pricing, itinerary, sponsors, the DJ, and miscellaneous items were outlined and considered. Council reaches agreement and will be holding the 2018 Science Gala at the RBC Convention Center.

 

The President/Vice report included discussion of Bill 31. Attending meeting regarding Bill 31. Decide to ask UMSU questions pertaining to the availability of resources available for informing students of Bill 31. SSA council members pose the question,

“Do we want a formal stance or just get the word out there?”.

Discuss the idea of an informal statement opposing Bill 31. Voting favors that SSA will make a stance.

The senate discusses student opinion on the Steve Curvy sexual harassment allegations. An official statement was given from the board. They want student input and have every intention of strengthening sexual assault policies. The board is looking at reworking policies, and could potentially go above the political province policies. 

OCTOBER 2ND SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: October 2nd 2017

SSA Official Minutes for October.2nd/17: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WDTETPUk4InH5W9ZkIkQIoeuVncIZ_3IAFqRNibxePM/edit?usp=sharing

            In summary of the SSA council meeting, there was much discussion regarding the special events committee and the upcoming Science social, “Hiatus”. Logistics were discussed including the drink specials, door prizes, ticket sales, food, and the DJ, Kevin.

            There was also lots of discussion regarding the possible changing of our by-laws where the bi-election and general assembly are concerned. Discussed the idea of community representatives running independently or on a slate.

            Approved many of the ski trip expenses and discussed the registration opening date.

 

SEPTEMBER 18TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

September. 18th Official SSA Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nL39Er061s4PEQiICMo5ZZNcgk_0eQecoa2lw45Wc5A/edit?usp=sharing

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: September.18th 2017

            In summary of the SSA council meeting, the vice/president report included feedback of the science orientation along with the lab trek event was discussed. We had lots of positives remarks, however as a council we discussed possible improvements to be made for next year.

            The treasurer report by Behnam Bezaei included discussion of the many meetings he had attended throughout the month of September. Meetings with the faculty discussing reimbursement and budgets along with the UMSU financial advisor who touched on the “Dos and Don’ts) of budget spending.

            The social committee discusses possible names for the October.13th midterm social.

            The UMSU report included a strategic planning presentation, updates on IQ’s renovations, and the details of Frosh. The academic report by Nada Eltbgy included discussion of the tutoring program; how tutors and tutees go about signing up, along with the new compensation program. Nada also touched on the rental program we as SSA offer. We rent out sharpies, lab goggles, lab coats, dissection kits, calculators, and wax pencils.

New business discussed during the meeting was most relevant as Laura Chan reports that three voting positions on SSA are still open, and according to the by-laws, must be filled. The positions are LGBQTT Rep, Women’s Rep, and Accessibility Rep. As a council we discussed the idea of a bi election which occurs online, there is no minimum vote to win, and we would pay someone to come and put it on for us, while the second option would be a general assembly which would be cheap, would happen in one day, and would be less formal but. The SSA council votes for a general assembly and a tentative election date was set within 10 days of the meeting (September.18th/17).

SEPTEMBER 4TH SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

September 4th Official SSA Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e5QIQAK7uN060MXzwHzem21BOACEapgy1qcB-u8NUcI/edit?usp=sharing

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: September.4th 2017

In summary of the SSA council meeting, a position on the bylaws committee opened up due to Yaweh Villanueva stepping down, therefore, a new council member must fill the position. Behnam Beizai self nominates himself, along with Nada Eltobgy, with Behnam winning council vote an becoming the new member of the bylaws committee.

The position of director of communications has also been filled by Bailey Groot.

            As a council we discussed further lounge and furniture updates for the new Parker study space, and the program modifications, additions, and subtractions of 1000-4000 science courses.

            Student services discusses the idea of giving away lockers to first years through a raffle or contest. The indigenous report included the reconciliACTION meeting, which focused on ways to work the indigenous culture into education at the University of Manitoba. Jordan Beck (Indigenous Rep) reports that Councillors day is now cancelled, as science was not the focus, and that the leftover funds ($26,000 for science based initiatives), will be put towards the presentation of the Fireside Group.

            The treasurer report included details in regards to the budget for orientation; SSA along with the faculty of science share the expenses. Behnam Beizaei (treasurer) outlines council budget for the year, and discusses the new online portal link in which councillors or those in need of reimbursement from SSA. The link allows for the explanation of the expense along with pictures of the hard-copy receipts.

 

JULY 31ST SSA MINUTES SUMMARY

July 31st Official SSA Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BokCoUHrbAio9N8kf6AVdCwUphTbDIrliGN75YAksb8/edit?usp=sharing

Science Students Association Council Meeting Summary: July. 31st 2017

           In summary of the SSA council meeting, the executive committee reports the changing of our treasurer position, Benham Beizai now holds the title and responsibilities as treasurer. As a council, we also approved the funding requests of each Sehaj Pal Singh, and Mary Elaine Herrera, granting them $300.00.

           The selections committee is now looking at candidates for the position of “Director of Communications”, as Andrew, our previous appointed director was accepted into the faculty of pharmacy and therefore is no longer a member of the faculty of science or SSA.

           The president/vice report by Ryan Churchill and Laura Chan included discussion of renovations in the Parker building. This included the addition of a study space and new furniture/appliances. The bulk of the report however included the details of the September.5th/2017 science orientation day/event. Ryan and Laura outlined the plan for the day which in the following order will include a panel discussion, a scavenger hunt where there will be prizes for the top five teams, and a free BBQ lunch where there will be booths, beer gardens, a bouncy castle, a dunk tank, and multiple volunteers and SSA members working and willing to answer questions and greet the incoming freshmen. There was also discussion of the extension of, and addition of, new library hours. As of now, the front desk and upper floors will be off limits during these extended hours, however if things go well, this could change. The library will now be open until 8:00pm during the week, and will be open from 9:00am to 5:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Along with this, five days prior to exams, the library will be open 24 hours. The library has also allowed for the possibility of renting books/text items, along with the renting of study rooms. Lastly, the president/vice report included discussion of the “research open house” event to take place September.6th/17. Shady Rizk, along with SSA volunteers will be organizing and planning a day in which first and second year students will have the opportunity to meet with professors and listen to a tutorial from each of the many involved professors/areas of study; Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, etc..

            Victor Aroso, lounge programmer, also reports the option of allowing the SSA lounge to be used as a contingency accommodation if there were to be another power cut in University Centre during the summer games (July 31 – August 13). SSA agreed that this would be fine.

             The indigenous report by Jordan Beck included discussion of a potential advisor day to highlight the many options for indigenous students coming in from northern/any communities. The event will include presentations, one with a community representative and the other with Firelight group, where they will describe their approach to facilitating community-driven research projects. The event will also include a thirty minute panel discussion centering around the topic of “What community based research means in the context of a science faculty?” and “How can it fit within an existing research program? How can such partnerships emerge?”

            The special events committee report included discussion of enclosed beer gardens along with prices to obtain an enclosed space. There was also discussion of the details/forms/budget of the orientation day event, along with the idea of sponsors/acquiring sponsors in order to cover the food and beer costs. There are many steps to take in order to achieve success for this event, so all of SSA is encouraged to volunteer and help out in any way they can.

             UMSU representative Lisa Huang reports of the new app built by students called “Connexus”, which will allow and provide improved resources to students, along with help with accessibility to scholarships. SSA discussed promoting this app on the SSA website.

             UMSU also approved the new health and dental plan so you can opt down or out, along with providing higher coverage that is specific to your needs.

             Lastly, Mira Villegas representing the Senate is a volunteer with “Canadian Blood Donors”, and had the idea of working with the blood donors by possibly advertising for the blood donor group. SSA could plan an event where there would be a faculty wide donation, or possibly set up a booth at orientation with blood typing and DNA swabs. Mira will send out an email to Canadian blood donors to officialise the idea of their involvement in the form of a booth at orientation.